Thursday, July 6, 2017

Tiny Little Leaves

My first writing in my more organised blog...let's see how this goes.

Today is HOME AND GARDEN.


Winter time means a little slowing down of growth in the garden. It is freezing and there are still frosts on the ground. I don't water every day, but try to give the garden a bit of a sprinkle most days.

Ray and I are trying to clear up the yard a bit, we planted privet along the fence line to give our pool area privacy, but since doing Bushcare, a volunteer group that the kids and I did for about a year, we realise that that is a weed, and it is also not a good plant for those with allergies and asthma, and we have a household full of them.We also planted palms, which have grown so large and incredibly spiked. We are getting rid of these, clearing up the area around the pool,  and eventually putting decking on.
It will take a while, I also wish we had a mulcher,  but we don't and we can't fit all the clipped plants into our green bin, so we will have to have a council rubbish pick up.

                                        Trying to clear up around the pool area.

Over the next week I will be putting seeds into little punnets and getting them ready in our tiny greenhouse for planting in weeks to come.

Here is a wonderful link to guide you into what to plant and pick.

Gardenate 

Beetroot, lettuce, peas, onions and radish.
A few weeks ago I planted lettuce, onions and radish seeds...they have started to pop their tiny little leaves up.

                                      Radishes popping their little leaves through the freezing soil.


                                                    Onions slowly peeping through.


Peas were planted a while ago and are growing wonderfully...I may just plant some more in the patches where the beans DIDN'T grow. And I bought three beetroot seedlings. I should plant some more...possibly in some pots I have...worth a try. I haven't had much luck with beets yet.
                       Here are the peas. Just waiting for some actual leaves. Did you know you
                                    can pop the lovely tendrils into stir frys and salads?


Apparently, it is time plant seeds for strawberries in the little greenhouse. I have to buy some, we love strawberries here and haven't had much luck with them. I have a plan to use some pvc piping....we will see if that pans out or not.

Gorgeous nasturtiums for the flowers and apparently thee leaves are edible as well..


I am writing this before the sun is up...so shortly I will head outside for fresh, off the press photos.

If you have any questions, I am happy to help. Would love to hear what you are doing in your gardens.

Is anyone visiting...would love for you to say hi, and would also love to hear what you would like to see or know, or, are blogs no longer a thing...

Until next time
Lots of it
Mandy
XXX

No comments:

Challenge For This Weeks Food for the Family

It’s been a while I know. Life happens, keeps us busy, and you even forget you have a blog let alone write in it. So here it is...a CHAL...