Friday, June 23, 2017

Preserving Lemons

Our citrus are very abundant in the early Winter. They sometimes give us more in some years and sometimes less. But that's ok. We always get something. 
I picked these the other day. We eat the mandarins, or swap them or give them away. We use lots of lemons. My son squeezes them and puts some juice in  water with ice. I juice them and make cordial, though I am not a huge fan of feeding the kids sugar. I use minimal when I make it.
We use them for cooking....baked chicken with lemon, garlic and thyme is delicious. 
However, preserving is also on the list these days too. It is so easy to do. 









Gather your equipment. Jars, lemons and sea salt...no added anticaking agent.

Slice the lemons in a cross from the top . Don't cut all the way down because you will squash as much salt as you can into the cuts. Clise it back up trying to keep the salt in the lemons and then literally shove it in the jars.
Don't forget to to sterilize your jars...10 minutes in boiling water.

I got 2.5 in each of these. I juiced extra lemons and made sure the lemons were covered. I threw in a bit more salt and tbere you have it. Preserved lemons.
To use them you just use the skin generally. You wash the salt off and use them as you would lemons. I have used them in cus cus and rice. Generally they go with Mediterranean or Moroccan flavours. Yoy can add herbs to them. Bay leaf , garlic and rosemary taste great with them.
I would say they last about 6 months or less.
Let me know if you give these a try.
Until next time
Lots of it
Mandy
XXX

No comments:

Challenge For This Weeks Food for the Family

It’s been a while I know. Life happens, keeps us busy, and you even forget you have a blog let alone write in it. So here it is...a CHAL...